This research area focuses on the valuable ecosystem services provided for urban systems and urban populations by nature and green structure in urban areas. We investigate nature and green areas as an integral part of the urban fabric
- How these areas are part of everyday life in cities
- How they afford a broad range of services including stress relief and other health benefits
- How they alleviate excess heat, excess rain and other forms of extreme weather
- How they reduce pollutants
- How they provide social cohesion and educational sites
- And even how they can provide important habitats for endangered species.